We know that it can feel nerve-wracking to send someone you love off to study abroad. We too have either experienced that feeling of uneasiness or watched our family experience that feeling for us. It can be scary sending someone you love to travel to a place without you, to a place they have not been before. This is a natural and valid response.
Studying abroad can also have a major impact on one’s personal, professional, and academic growth, and oftentimes remembering the benefits can make those feelings of uneasiness more manageable.
For personal growth, it allows individuals to step outside of their comfort zones. Make new friends. Try new foods. Meet people from different backgrounds. Become more confident and empathetic.
Studying abroad also significantly enhances academic and professional growth.
Some quick facts on why short-term study abroad is as important as ever:
- 93% of students who studied abroad secured a job within the first 6 months after graduation, as opposed to 49% of those who did not.[i]
- 90% of students felt their global experiences were valuable to their overall education.[ii]
- At home, the number of students who were confident navigating unfamiliar places post-study abroad saw a 97% growth.[ii]
COVID-19 has now added another layer to these feelings of apprehension of sending your loved ones abroad by significantly impacting the way people think about travel. People are understandably nervous about being on an airplane, being in crowds, having to quarantine, and so on.
Here at EF College Study, we want you to know that it is OK to have these concerns, how could you not? But we also want to help reassure you and remind you why you chose to travel with us.
When the COVID-19 pandemic became an issue around the globe, EF acted fast. We worked around the clock to bring any active programs home. We then worked diligently and effectively with Group Leaders, students, and families to postpone or cancel programs based on the best fit option for the group at that time.
Over the past few months, our traveler support team has had countless calls with travelers, and their parents and guardians. We will always be here to talk through the small and large fears and support you in any way that we can.
The landscape of study abroad is also changing—and alongside it, the team here at EF College Study is enhancing our comprehensive approach to safety and security so you and your students can travel knowing you’re taken care of.
Some examples of our new Safety and Protection offerings include:
- A worry-free flexible enrolment period through Jan 31, 2021, allowing new travelers to feel more confident planning a 2022 & 2023 program.
- A new Global Travel Protection Plus Plan. This upgraded coverage offers extra peace of mind to our travelers. Click here to learn more.
- Industry-leading health standards. We are proud to have earned the World Travel & Tourism Council’s Safe Travel Stamp- the world’s first-ever global safety and hygiene stamp for travel & tourism, designed specifically to address COVID-19 and similar outbreaks.
These are just a few examples of how EF College Study has adjusted with the changing landscape of study abroad to help you and your student can feel more comfortable for future programs.
And remember, our Traveler Support Team is dedicated to addressing any questions and/or concerns you may have about these new policies and safety standards, as well as any other questions you may have. You can reach us at 877-485-4184, Monday-Friday, 9:00 am-5:30 pm EST.
We hope this offers some insight into the work we are doing behind the scenes to make sure your loved ones can still plan to see the world. The safety and security of our travelers is our top priority and we can’t wait for the world to open up again. Until then, we wish you and your loved ones health and safety!
[I]= IES Abroad 2015
[ii]= EF College Study Tours Program Impact 2018